[Python-Dev] _cursesmodule linking, and portability]

Mark Favas m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:10:35 +0800

--------------E81781852A126E47754F48FE

Should have included python-dev on this one - must be a Sunday
afternoon... It's still the case that, under the current implementation,
Sun and SGI platforms do not expose the has_key() function. My patch
just adds Tru64 (nee Digital Unix, nee OSF/1) to that group...
--
Email  - m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au        Mark C Favas
Phone  - +61 8 9333 6268, 0418 926 074   CSIRO Exploration & Mining
Fax    - +61 8 9383 9891                 Private Bag No 5, Wembley
WGS84  - 31.95 S, 115.80 E               Western Australia 6913
--------------E81781852A126E47754F48FE

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:57:42 +0800
From: Mark Favas <m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au>
To: Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>, esr@thyrsus.com
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] _cursesmodule linking, and portability

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Mark Favas wrote:
>
> > Earlier today I uploaded a patch to SF for _cursesmodule.c so that it
> > would link on Tru64 Unix (Version 4.0F). The problem was that the
> > function has_key() is not present on this platform (nor, apparently, on
> > SGI or Sun). Moshe queried whether this patch was required to link
> > against ncurses on Tru64. ncurses does not exist on Tru64.
>
> I see. I think ESR (who is the new curses maintainer) decided to support
> only ncurses. You might convince him
>
>  a) to support Tru64 curses too
>  b) to tell you how to compile ncurses for the Tru64

This problem exists for Sun and SGI in exactly the same way as for
Tru64. And they are supported  in the _cursesmodule code in exactly the
same way as I proposed for Tru64. I just checked on Solaris 8 - it also
has no ncurses lib, and its curses lib does not implement has_key()...
Sun and SGI are supported, without the need for anyone to ask Eric how
to compile ncurses for those platforms <wry smile>.