[Python-Dev] extended print statement, uPre-PEP

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 10:15:52 +0200

paul wrote:
> Nevertheless, every Python programmer needs to learn the ".write" way =
in
> order to do reasonable text processing. So print's idiosyncracies are
> just one more thing to learn.

...and since people need to learn how to write classes to write
larger programs, we can disallow statements and functions on the
module level...

...and since people need to learn how to balance parentheses to
write larger data structures, we might as well reintroduce braces...

...and since people need to learn C++ and Java anyway, to solve
performance problems or interface with low-level stuff, we might
as well give up the whole project.

>>> usability_guidelines.index("they have to learn it anyway")
Traceback (most recent call last):
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list

(fwiw, this is related to why adding TabError and IndentationError
was a rather lousy idea...)

</F>