[Python-Dev] extended print statement, uPre-PEP

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:25:34 -0500

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> Really?  We can start by fixing the nearly 5000 occurances of it in
> the Python distribution or the 230 occurances in Mailman.  How often
> does print show up in your own code?

Print almost never shows up in my production code because I always want
to allow the option of redirecting the output and assigning sys.stdout
is a hack for all of the reasons you've pointed out.

I do use print constantly for debug output but the whole point there is
that I don't have to set up a file object. I wouldn't use it even there
if Python auto-coerced strings and moved stdout into __builtins__. Or
else stdout.println could auto-coerce a list of objects.

New from Computer Associates: "Software that can 'think', sold by
marketers who choose not to."