[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:36:03 -0400

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 06:35:38AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>- Python 1.6 (a CNRI release with PythonLabs' help) will come out with
>CNRI's Open Source License in two phases: a beta around August 1st, and a
>final release mid-August (of course this schedule is subject to the usual
>qualifications).  This will release all of the work on Python done at CNRI
>since 1.5.2 was released to the public -- a significant step.

Glad there's some resolution to this, and apparently a favorable one!
(I haven't read the licence yet -- no way to read Word on this Linux laptop.)

So, what version does the current CVS tree represent?  Is it what will
become 1.6, or will some things be removed from the CVS tree in order
to make the 1.6 release?  From reading the feature lists, it looks
like none of the 2.0 features are checked in yet, so I'd wager that
the CVS tree is 1.6.

I guess what I'm wondering is how 1.6/2.0 development will be
organized; finishing 1.6, and postponing augmented assignment/list
comprehensions/whatever until 2.0, seems like the best course, since
it means we won't have to wrestle with 2 development branches.

--amk