[Python-Dev] Coercion (RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:36:17 +0200

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 05:49:20PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> [Adding new operators]

> Just a side note before everyone forgets: I think we'll
> need to carefully redefine coercion *before* adding any
> new slots/operators/etc. to Python.

> The current model where coercion is centralized won't
> scale well with the new operators. My (old) proposal for this
> (see my Python Pages) was to decentralize coercion and
> make the coercion process part of the operators task.

> Thoughts ?

Agreed. I also think, but that's a personal opinion, that adding new
operators should be done carefully, and I'm not sure if 2.0 is the right
time for it. It depends on how far away 2.0 is, of course, not just to make
sure the operators are implemented right, with clear semantics and
everything, but also to give everyone a chance to accept the idea of new
operators ;P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>