[Python-Dev] PEP 201 - Parallel iteration

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:47:41 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     PP> Why are you using zip in this case? If you *know* that you are
>     PP> going to get back 1-tuples then you must know that the input
>     PP> is a single list (i.e. you aren't using "apply"). So why are
>     PP> you using zip at all?
>
> It was just an example, but I agree, you probably wouldn't use zip in
> this situation.  My question is, why would you ever use zip with one
> parameter?

Or, in other words, anyone using zip() with one parameter is plain nuts or
made a bug.

>  To me, that's an argument for letting zip(a) return
> 1-tuples, not raising an exception.

I fail to see the logic. To me, that points at the exception route: if
it's probably a bug, yell loudly.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.