[Python-Dev] PEP 201 - Parallel iteration

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:47:42 -0500

Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> It was just an example, but I agree, you probably wouldn't use zip in
> this situation.  My question is, why would you ever use zip with one
> parameter?  To me, that's an argument for letting zip(a) return
> 1-tuples, not raising an exception.

Your logic is impeccable. Also, consider this:

zip( "mybigfile.xml" )

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)