[Python-Dev] Terminal programs (was: Python-dev summary: Jul 1-15)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:41:44 -0700

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 10:13:21AM -0400, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who made some suggestions.  The more minor
> edits have been made, but I haven't added any of the threads I missed
> because doing a long stretch of Emacs editing in this lame Windows terminal
> program will drive me insane, so I just posted the summary to python-list.
>
> <rant>How is it possible for Microsoft to not get a VT100-compatible
> terminal program working correctly?  VT100s have been around since,
> when, the 1970s?  Can anyone suggest a Windows terminal program that
> *doesn't* suck dead bunnies through a straw?</rant>

yes.

I use "Tera Term Pro" with the SSH extensions. That gives me an excellent
Telnet app, and it gives me SSH. I have never had a problem with it.

[ initially, there is a little tweakiness with creating the "known_hosts"
  file, but you just hit "continue" and everything is fine after that. ]

Tera Term Pro can be downloaded from some .jp address. I think there is a
16-bit vs 32-bit program. I use the latter. The SSL stuff is located in Oz,
me thinks.

I've got it on the laptop. Great stuff.

Cheers,
-g