[Python-Dev] Python-dev summary: Jul 1-15

Ka-Ping Yee pingster@ilm.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> Note: this is an experiment in whether I can make a useful,
> interesting, somewhat coherent summary of python-dev activity.

Very nice job!  Well done.  Thanks for doing all the work!

>        * Accuracy.  I skipped past some threads such as the list
>          comprehensions one, and may be unaware of a resolution.

As Paul mentioned, there was some talk about range literals.
There was some stuff about augmented assignment too, i believe?
Thomas Wouters tried to summarize the list-comp, parallel-iteration,
and range-literal threads, to which i responded with an alternative
proposal.  Huaiyu Zhu also presented a fairly complete list-comp
proposal (though i think the syntax is not quite implementable).

Eric suggested adding a cross-platform "browse" routine to urllib.
Some discussion ensued; some names for a separate module were
proposed including "webbrowser.py"; some people suggested using
the "start" command on Windows instead; i suggested a "launch"
module for launching other kinds of external applications as well
as web browsers; i don't remember if any resolution was reached.

Paul started a small thread on automatic coercion of any type to string.

There was some discussion of rearranging newsgroup and mailing
list traffic, choosing more distinct purposes for comp.lang.python
and python-dev, etc.

A suggestion to make string.atoi work for negative bases was
politely but quickly squashed.

There were random gripes about SourceForge.

Moshe suggested a file-copy routine that accepted objects;
Greg Stein checked it in.

Paul raised the issue of bringing an XPath implementation into Python.

Paul made a fairly detailed proposal for an online help mechanism
(this happened on July 15 at the end of your time window; more
discussion ensued).

-- ?!ng

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part
of your life."
    -- Brooke Shields