[Python-Dev] if/else and macros

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:04:19 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> greg wrote:
> > > The result is smaller source, smaller code, a smaller inner loop,
> > > faster decoding, and less discussion on this list.
> >
> > Can't just out of the loop. One of the possible results of the error is to
> > ignore it and continue. Or to insert a particular character and continue.
>
> of course -- if you decide not to break the loop, just
> jump back in.

This is getting silly, really ;-)

Jumping out of loops is ok, but jumping back in is not: you can
never know whether the optimizer rearranges the loop code, so
jumping *into* loop constructs is not going to be portable.

I'll remove the macro completely and also fix the UTF16 codec
which has the same continue problem.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg