[Python-Dev] Checked in...

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:10:20 -0500

> onlinehelp.py is checked in. Here's the docstring:

Sorry Paul, but checking things in is not the appropriate way to start
a discussion.  Without a prior discussion of requirements and design
alternatives I don't think that it should be checked in, even labeled
experimental.

The proper thing to do if you want feedback on the source code is to
post the source code somewhere (here).  There are simply too many
people with too many ideas for this to work -- Python would become a
work designed by committee.

I'm on my way to Monterey and don't have time to comment on the
contents right now, but please follow the procedure!  (And I *know*
that the procedure isn't carefully documented -- that's one more
reason to be conservative in your checkins.)

Annoyed,

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)