[Python-Dev] Preventing 1.5 extensions crashing under 1.6/2.0 Python

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:14:38 -0400

> I guess the user should think about whether they want their Python COM
> things to use 1.5 or 2.0.  Only the one they choose should install its
> DLL in the system directory; the other one should have its DLL in its
> own directory.

This may be a good idea - however, it is not necessary.  Whatever version
of Python was used to register the COM object is also used to execute it.
Thus, you can have different objects on the same machine, each of which
uses different Python versions.

Indeed, the same process could potentially load 2 seperate versions of
Python - this should work fine (although it has never been tested by me!)

Mark.