[Python-Dev] Help command

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:20:29 -0500

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> > > In a Red Hat installation, they don't install the HTML docs at all.
> >
> > What docs are installed?
>
> The LaTeX files. Did I say how much I enjoy working on Red Hat machines
> yet?
>
> linux-users-should-use-a-real-distribution-ly y'rs, Z.

Does "man python" work yet? Or maybe my installation was just messed up.

As an aside, I think that there are three reasons that it would be nice
if we delivered the Python documentation in man format:

 1. man(1) die-hards (blow-hards!) would be happy
 2. man open() etc. would return Python information which is a way of
advertising Python
 3. documenting every function in every programming language in a common
namespace is a ridiculous idea and by contributing to the problem we can
do our part to kill a tool that has lived long past its time. :)

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html