[Python-Dev] what to call this zip() function?

esr@thyrsus.com esr@thyrsus.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 02:40:25 -0400

Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:
> The analogy with a photocopying machine is pretty good, but
> i'm afraid this will play havoc with those who see "collate" in
> terms of determining sort order.

*ouch*

Damn.  Ping is right.  He just blew "collate" out of the water, folks.

> It's fairly clear to me that, of the names that evoke images
> of some sort, only "parallel", "march", and "merge" are actually
> accurate.  "zip" and "marry" are nearly accurate except that they
> usually give the impression that only two things are being joined.

Well argued (and cool pictures, too!).  I think parallel, zip, and
marry are out for various reasons of connotative overload, so we're
down to "merge", "meld", and "knit".
--

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
	-- R. Buckminster Fuller