[Python-Dev] Linker problems on Linux

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:47:10 -0700

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 07:09:01PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> [M.-A. Lemburg]
> > Why hasn't anyone objected to simply dropping such an important
> > API without proper backwards compatibility workaround ?
>
> If I knew it was happening, I would have whined.  And I expect Guido would
> have screamed.  So let's fix it, and move on.  I expect patch review isn't
> as good as it used to be because of the clumsy SourceForge interface, so
> nobody noticed.

That has nothing to do with it. A full discussion occurred here on what to
do. The consensus was reached and the code was changed.

I knew it was happening, and I hardly ever look at the Patch Manager. In
other words, you can't place the blame there.

Personally, I had no issue with it at all. Python 1.5 extensions are not
compatible with Python 1.6. We knew that already. So if they have to
recompile anyways, then they are going to pick up the macro redefinition.

No big deal.

> > The situation on Windows is already bad enough with extensions
> > compiled against 1.5 causing a segfault...

Unrelated FUD.

Cheers,
-g

--