[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP Idea

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:08:58 +0200

paul wrote:
> Hopefully this transcript will speak for itself...mostly.
>=20
> | The help function allows you to read help on Python's various=20
> | functions, objects, instructions and modules.

heh.  so that's why I'm having a slight headache; paul is
in there stealing my ideas? ;-)

I got stuck on whether this is best implemented as a true
builtin, or just patched into the builtins dictionary by site.py...

why not just post a site.py patch, and forget about the
PEP for now?

</F>

1) plus a sys.sethelphook function which allow the environ-
ment to override the default behaviour; for example, if you're
typing help("intro") in PythonWorks' console window, you pro-
bably want to get nicely formatted help in the "info" panel,
not in the console window itself.