[Python-Dev] posixpath module.

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 22:36:08 +0200

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 04:30:14PM -0400, Alex Coventry wrote:

> Should posixpath.normpath resolve '/..' to '/'?  My linux box does.

Yes. At least, every UNIX box I ever heard of does that, and I'm sure it's
listed in some standard or other. (the '.' and '..' directories on UNIX
filesystems aren't magic, they are just hard links to the appropriate
directory. '..' on '/' simply points to the same directory as '.' on '/',
and '/' itself.)

I think the same goes for URLs, though I'm not as sure on that.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>