[Python-Dev] linear algebra

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:51:21 -0500

Greg Wilson wrote:

> .... Saying, "But you don't have to use these new operators if
> you don't want to," is a red herring --- if I want to understand/modify
> other people's code, I'll have to learn 'em (just as I've had to learn
> most of Perl's syntax, one painful special case at a time, in order to use
> the LDAP, XML, CGI, and imaging libraries).
>
> So: I would like this (linear algebra, min/max, other notation) to happen,
> but only if there's an extensible, scalable framework for user-defined
> libraries to add operators to Python, in the same way that they can now
> add new classes.

I don't want to come to someone else's code and have to learn a bunch of
operators that they invented, for the same reason that you don't want to
learn all of Perl's built-in special cases.

I would support a framework to compile and load well-defined,
independent, Python-based languages (PyMatrix, XSLPy) onto a shared
Python virtual machine. OTOH, I would freak out if I loaded a module
that proported to be Python and found it had a bunch of operators not
defined in the Python specification. I'll leave that experiment to REBOL
and see what happens.
It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html