[Python-Dev] Preventing 1.5 extensions crashing under 1.6/2.0 Python

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:14:44 -0500

> > Ignoring most that's been said in this thread, would it be possible
> > for the installer to detect the presence of python15.dll in the system
> > directory and offer to delete it?
>
> would the average user know when to click "Yes" ?

Whenever they don't have a 1.5 installation that they are interested
in preserving.  Hm, the registry probably points to where that would
live if it existed, so the installer (or a custom program run
automatically by it) can do more probing if it needs to.

I guess the user should think about whether they want their Python COM
things to use 1.5 or 2.0.  Only the one they choose should install its
DLL in the system directory; the other one should have its DLL in its
own directory.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)