[Python-Dev] request for minor enhancement / linear algebra

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:39:26 -0400

Greg Wilson <gvwilson@nevex.com>:
>     Greg:    So let's adopt the notation '<?' and '>?' for 'min' and
>              'max', as used in C* and other parallel languages.  We can
>              then use '<?=' and '>?=' for the infix forms, and reserve
>              'min()' and 'max()' as built-ins for the variadic forms.
>              After all, it's just an historical accident that 'min' and
>              'max' aren't treated with the same respect as '+' and 'or'.

I would support something like this.  What's really going on here, IMO, is
that you're groping towards giving Python a complete set of notations
for lattice algebra.  My ma\thematician head likes this idea.
--

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty,
will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest.