[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Michael Hudson mwh21@cam.ac.uk
14 Jul 2000 07:21:13 +0100

bwarsaw@beopen.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

>     MZ> -1 on that. I just thought of that before I got out of bed,
>     MZ> and decided putting something GPLed there might be trouble.
>
> Ah, good point.  I keep forgetting about that :)

It's been one of those things that "I will get round to sometime" for
a long while now to write a (PD) replacement line editor in Python
(thinking partly that it would be nice not to be "encumbered" by the
GPL and that if it was written in a suitable style it might be
possible to make it more "hookable" and provide eg. fancier
completion).  Unfortunately I know nothing about any of the issues
involved, so I'd have to do a lot of reading first...

Anyone else think this is a good idea/crazy?

Cheers,
M.