[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:42:11 -0400

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     JCA> I think that what Andy wants is to have zlib always
>     JCA> distributed with Python, and always available.
>
> We've argued about that before, although I'm not sure if we did so on
> python-dev.  I argued for this, in the context of distutils, but I
> think Guido doesn't want to maintain this external library.  We'd have
> to do that if we distribute it with Python.

I don't think distributing zlib means we have to maintain it.  Well,
I guess we would have to get the new zlib version before each release,
and re-write the interface functions if they change.  Hmmm...

Actually, I thought the issue was the megabyte size of the distribution.

JimA