[Python-Dev] [Fwd: Discussion: Introducing new operators formatrix computation]

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:35:01 -0500

Huaiyu Zhu wrote:

> I wonder how orthogonal would this be against the main development?  Would
> it require a rebuild for each new release.  Would it also require a patch
> each time?

I think that the idea is that you could install new syntaxes in the same
way you install new modules...of course only after careful
consideration!!!

> Look it this way.  Text processing do have their special syntaxes.

Okay, but probably 90% of Python programmers do text processing at some
point. Not so for matrix calculation. You believe that the Python world
would grow greatly if we did matrices natively. I don't know if I
believe that.

I'm not entirely against your proposal but you've got to expect major
pushback on such large-scale syntax and semantic changes.

> PS. I suppose I am allowed to post to python-dev without invitation, but not
> subscribing to it?  I find this rather strange.

Yes, it is rather strange.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html