[Python-Dev] re: list comprehension / pop quiz

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:34:34 +0200

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 09:15:46AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Mark Favas <m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au>:
> > I'd like to endorse Ken's idea very strongly - and suggest the name
> > "plait" (which can clearly operate on 2, 3, 4, or more strands - and can
> > produce beautiful effects...

> plait() is *good*.

Hmm... 'plait'. I don't even know what that means. I've read it before, but
don't know what it means... something like 'cloth' or 'plaid' ?. And it
sounds like 'plate'. I seriously prefer 'marry()', because it's widely known
what marriage is. Also, it is more descriptive of what it should do: it
shouldn't produce [1,4,2,5,3,6], but [(1,4),(2,5),(3,6)], or it's useless
for tuple-unpacking in for-loops.

And to hell with religious objections<1.1 wink> Actually, I try to respect
other people's religions, having none myself, but I seriously think religion
has no place in language design. A UNIX machine has processes, and those
processes have children. But those child-processes have only a single
parent! Did anyone ever question that ? Marry() is descriptive, and a common
term, and if people refuse to marry() more than two lists, that's their
choice. It's perfect.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>