[Python-Dev] Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 02:50:13 -0500

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> Indeed, this has truly far-reaching implications, as PEP 201 would
> then make Python the first programming language in the history of
> computing to directly acknowledge freedom of sexual orientation in
> its standard library.

If Larry Wall can blatantly court the Christian vote, and Javasoft can
go after the Asians, we'll have to build some coalitions of our own!

Seriously though: I have some concern with implying that it works for
only two lists. Our users may still be stuck in that 20th century point
of view that, when stretched, might accept two lists of the same type
but never three.

Compare marry to "zip". The first time you see "zip", you figure out
that it has nothing to do with zipping files, just by looking at the
usage. But you could see, and use, "marry" over and over and over again
and never realize that it works for three+ lists.

How big of a problem is this? You decide.

funny-how-whimsical-names-are--so-annoying-in-Perl -ly 'yrs

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html