[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:56:16 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Greg subtly points out the difficulty with your proposal: this
> requires an external library that may not be available.  In the past
> we've had enough complaints from people who failed to realize that if
> the build failed because of a missing external library, they could
> just disable the module that needs it.  So I'm not for simply having
> it enabled in Setup.in by default.

Currently there are two external libraries one needs to build a "good"
Python interpreter: zlib, and expat. Well, now that Python releases from
BeOpen, and not CNRI, perhaps it will be deemed all right to put them in
the source distribution, and by default have a Setup.in that builds on
them? Perhaps even include a "last known good" Tcl/Tk?

Rational:
There are several kinds of people who build Python interpreters. Let me
divide them into two groups, jokingly called "users" and "pushers".
"Users" build Python interpreter for self consumption (or for consumption
of a relatively small group of people). They sometimes don't know C, have
a flaky internet connection, and do not have too much time. For them,
Python should build out of the box. "Pushers", or packagers, are people
who build a python interpreter on a platform and distribute it. Examples
include BeOpen for the Windows installer, the nice folks at Red Hat for
rpms, and some Debian packager for debs. These people usually configure
the Python interpreter, and decided what needs to be built, so it's all
right to let them edit Setup.

addicted-to-python-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.