[Python-Dev] listcomp / par-for (summary)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:39:51 -0500

Thanks for the summary. Here's my 1p.

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Basically, what's been said is that list comprehensions as they are, are too
> confusing. I haven't hear that many people say that, but not many people
> objected to those that did say it, and plenty of alternative syntaxes were
> proposed.

I think that a lot of the confusion came with the conflation with
parallel-for. Any concept is hard to follow when the syntax is changing
hourly.

--
Re: alternatives for listcomp:

Another option is:

[ <for-or-if-stmt1>: <for-or-if-stmt2>: <....>: <test> ]

--
RE: parallel for:

Are there any arguments AGAINST using something like zip for a parallel
for-loop a function?

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html