[Python-Dev] New builtins

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:55:11 -0500

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Just for completeness: mx.Tools already has these APIs:
>
>      tuples(sequence)
>          Returns much the same as apply(map,(None,)+tuple(sequence)) does,

Like it.

>      lists(sequence)
>          Same as tuples(sequence), except that a tuple of lists is returned.

Like it.

>      dict(items)
>          Constructs a dictionary from the given items sequence.

Like it.

In my opinion, these are naturals for built-in functions. Cool!

These I'm not as sure about:

>      irange(object[,indices])
>          Builds a tuple of tuples (index,object[index]).

Isn't this just tuples( indices( object ), object )

>      indices(object)
>          Returns the same as tuple(range(len(object))) --

Could be obsoleted by the range-building syntax:

[0..len(object)]

would do the same thing.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html