permuting several lists (was Re: [Python-Dev] zip() and list-comprehension with commas)

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:41:47 +0200

michael wrote:

> In this case it's you not being a functional programmer; `zip' seems
> perfectly natural to the part of my brain that speaks Haskell.
>=20
> Think zip as in "zipper"; this more sense to me than naming a =
compression
> algorithm "zip"...
>=20

footnote: merriam webster says:

    1. to move, act, or function with speed and vigor
    5. to close or open with or as if with a zipper

I also checked two british dictionaries; the older only
mentioned the first sense, the newer only the second.

fwiw, the newer claims to be based on a "detailed ana-
lysis of how modern English is really used". go figure.

</F>