permuting several lists (was Re: [Python-Dev] zip() and list-comprehension with commas)

Peter Schneider-Kamp peter@schneider-kamp.de
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:16:54 +0000

Peter Funk wrote:

> What about calling this function 'permute()'?

-1 on this: We are not looking for all possible pairings but for the
            (possibly lazy) equivalent of map(None, list1, list2, ...).

> BTW:  How comes, that Ping very often invents or introduces very clever
> ideas and concepts, but also very often chooses unclear names for them?
> Is it just me not being a native english speaker?

I still think "zip" is okay, but that's probably my Haskell background.
And no, I don't think it has to do something with not being a native
English speaker. It's probably more the context you associate with
"zip".
I can't comment on earlier cases, though.

heading-to-work-ly y'rs
Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter@schneider-kamp.de