[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

    TW> I agree that all this together looks dodgy, but I think there
    TW> is a simple way to view it... I still think

    TW> 'for x in a; y in b:'

    TW> is the right syntax for parallel for loops. It's almost "only"
    TW> syntactic sugar for

    TW> 'for x,y in map(None, a, b)'

But wouldn't some variation on

    for x, y in a, b:

invoke resonance with the classic idiom?  Okay, now I'm reduced to
arguing syntax (and syntax which I haven't thought out much :).

    TW> but it's fairly straightforward, and in large blocks of code
    TW> it might look a lot better. It also has the benifit of not
    TW> padding the shortest list to the size of the longest one:
    TW> getting that behaviour with a map requires an aditional
    TW> 'filter' or such.

So I guess if that's the behavior I want, I'd use map, right?  There's
probably no good way to spell both.

-Barry