[Python-Dev] Demo/embed causes 'import site' failure

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:17:41 +0200

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 08:48:15AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > IMO, I say "start using makefile includes" and see who screams. VPATH is not
> > portable, though.

> The difference is that Apache and PHP only need to be portable to
> server-class machines.  Python also runs on (1) very ancient hardware;
> (2) some Cray-class machines; (3) non-Unix hardware with enough Unix
> emulation to be able to run the configure script (I believe the BeOS
> port falls in this category, and of course cygwin).

Actually, I was referring to the trick PIL and other extension modules use
to build their own Makefile based on Python's. I'm not sure how portable
that particular Makefile is, however. I'm one of those types that use
'gmake' on systems that do not have GNU make as the default make ;-)

And forgive me for saying this, but I think providing a good,
self-configuring but slightly unportable Makefile.pre.in *and* a README
(and/or example) that shows how to do it by hand on old/incapacitated
systems, is preferable over just providing a completely unportable Makefile
and a README that shows how to do it on other systems :-)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>