[Python-Dev] Venting some steam on current developments

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:16:41 -0700

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 05:29:00PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > There are lots of comments about it in site.py.
>  > sys.setdefaultencoding() is meant to be used *only* in site.py--
>  > that's why it gets removed after having made the final decision
>
>   The fact that it gets removed and is only provided as a hook for
> site.py needs to be documented in comments in sysmodule.c.

Um. I thought the current consensus was to remove setdefaultencoding()
altogether and just stick with an ASCII default encoding.

I don't think we should let people change the default if that is going to
break other parts of the Python interpreter. It could also seriously mess up
code that is expecting that hard-coded ASCII default.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/