[Python-Dev] new popen for win32!

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 19:48:52 -0400

> - first, a stupid question: is the popen2 and popen3
>   versions replacements for the corresponding functions
>   in the popen2 module.

I believe Bill was first :-)  Note that the param order may be different,
and should be made the same.

>   (or to put it another way: should the popen2 module
>   be modified to use these functions on Windows?)

IMO, yes.

> - should this go into the "nt" (posix) module, or should
>   I create a new module?

for no good reason, I would lean towards the NT module, but a seperate
source file.

> - "win32popenWin9x.exe" is a rather unwieldy name for a
>   file.  does anyone have a better suggestion?

I think the name can be unwieldy, as no one will ever execute this
directly.  The name should reflect its purpose, so no one says "hey - I
never run this .exe, so I can remove it.

>        py_popen9x.exe

I agree with Tim that "popen9x.exe" is fine.

> - I'm using VC5 on this box, so I should probably avoid
>   checking in my modified project files.  any VC6-wielding
>   volunteers out there?

If its not done by the time I return to Oz, I will be happy to do it.
However, I bet Bill beats me too it (unless someone explains to Tim what is
expected of him, and off he goes :-)

Mark.