[Python-Dev] Venting some steam on current developments

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:12:16 +0200

jack wrote:

> The first problem (for which I can't blame the Python community, I
> guess:-) is that the names mac_roman and such are not official IANA
> names for the Mac encodings. Actually, it turns out there _are_ no
> official names, so the Mac APIs to turn encodings into names work
> wonderful for things including all ISO encodings, windows encodings,
> etc, but not for the native mac encodings. Sigh. Okay, we do this
> ourselves.=20

> Then I spent an hour recompiling Python because this *&^^$%&*^%$
> setdefaultencoding didn't show up in sys for no conceivable reason. It =

> turns out it is *deleted* in site.py after using it once. A comment in =

> sysmodule.c would have been rather nice here...

mail problems?

didn't I send you a couple of mails discussing what needed to be done,
including where you could reach me over the weekend?

did you see my changes to the locale module?  I rewrote the darn
thing to make it easier to deal with this on non-posix platforms, and
posted the locale.py patch to the patch manager (the CVS repository
had a stale lock, so I couldn't check it in before today).

heck, I even sent you some pseudocode that showed one way to
implement parts of _getdefaultlocale for the mac, and still you claim
that we're ignoring non unix/windows platforms?

you could have asked for help a little earlier, you know...

</F>