[Python-Dev] [Fwd: Re: Splitting c.l.py...]

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 17:19:02 -0500

I don't know what to do about this, but Neil H's point that we might
want to separate the operational issues from the deep discussions
makes some sense.  Maybe there's even room for three lists:
operational, current code and patches, and future features.

But in reality, the difference between the various lists isn't the
topic: it's the group of people.  The fact that people are only
allowed into python-dev based on merit etc. (really a process of
co-optation) makes a difference: I feel much more comfortable
discussing both operational issues and future features here than I do
in the general newsgroup, because I approximately know my audience.

When posting to c.l.py these days I usually feel a lot of pressure
about how my writings will be perceived by newbies, critics, members
of other cultures, the press, and so on.  Sure, they can read the
python-dev archives, but few do, and (except for Gerrit Holl) I
haven't had any feedback from outsiders to posts made here.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)