[Python-Dev] repository locks

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Fri, 07 Jul 2000 16:16:26 -0500

> tonight's stupid question:
>
> What's causing all these stale locks?
>
> I'm a totally clueless CVS user, and I've managed to check
> at least 114 things into the repository without leaving any
> locks behind me.
>
> Is it just sheer luck, or is there some flaw in CVS waiting
> for me to stumble upon?

These locks are read-locks caused by checkouts that are aborted.
Somehow the CVS server doesn't always catch this.  I suppose there are
also write-locks by commits that could be left around, but you
typically don't abort a commit -- but it's common to hit ^C when an
update takes a bit long.

Not defending CVS (I think it should catch SIGPIPE since that's
probably what it's getting since this is done remotely) but just
setting the record straight.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)