[Python-Dev] Re: [I18n-sig] Unicode experience

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 07 Jul 2000 13:08:47 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> For strings there is no compact notation like "+0.0" if you want to
> convert to string or Unicode -- adding "" might work in Perl, but not
> in Python.

Actually, these days, foo+"" works in a LOT of languages. Perl, Java and
JavaScript for sure. C++, depending on the type. Python's strictness
about this issue has never caught a bug for me. It has only caused
errors. Okay, some newbie may think that "5"+"5"=="10". But they could
also expect [5]+[5]==[10]. There are limits to the extent that we can
protect them from incorrect mental models.

Pop stars come and pop stars go, but amid all this change there is one
eternal truth: Whenever Bob Dylan writes a song about a guy, the guy is
guilty as sin.
	- http://www.nj.com/page1/ledger/e2efc7.html