[Python-Dev] problems with SUSv2 compatibility defines

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:54:48 +0200

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

> The new defines in Python.h for SUSv2 compatibility seriously hamper
> compilation on SGI IRIX.
>
> The problem is that defining _XOPEN_SOURCE causes a number of common
> but non-standard features to be removed.  In particular, ctermid_r and
> altzone are no longer defined.  The former causes a warning
> (assignment of int-returning function to char *), the latter causes an
> error (altzone not defined).
> Something needs to be done about this but I don't know what since I
> don't know why the defines were necessary.

I think Fredrik is right. I'll remove the _XOPEN_SOURCE
for now, but leave the _GNU_SOURCE define in (on Linux,
Python compiles just fine using _GNU_SOURCE).

Perhaps you could figure out which defines are needed to
reenable the missing APIs on IRIX when _XOPEN_SOURCE is
defined... it would be helpful to help pin-point the
weak spots w/r to SUSv2 compatibility.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg