[Python-Dev] urllib.browse() issues

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:20:45 -0400

Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@beopen.com>:
>   Ok, here's a version that keeps the idea of a register() function,
> but simplifies the machinery quite a bit.  Instead of using a config
> file, the BROWSER environment variable is used.  If not set, the
> default on Windows is to use the Windows default setting.  On Unix,
> the default is Netscape if $DISPLAY is set, otherwise it's the
> "command line browser", which tries, in order: netscape, mosaic(!),
> lync, and w3m.  I left out Mozilla since I couldn't get it to work at
> all last time I tried it (though I've had better results previously).

Looks pretty good...though I have to wonder how much point there is in
Grail support at this point.  Having something like this in the standard
library will be a real boon for on-line documentation and Web-aware
programs.

(I got M16 to run without difficulty, BTW.  I have not switched yet
because the UI still has a lot of sharp edges.)
--

The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we
decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will