[Python-Dev] urllib.browse() issues

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:29:38 -0400 (EDT)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > But on Windows, there is already a registry setting to choose the
 > browser.  No native Windows user (as opposed to transplanted Unix
 > users like you & me :-) is going to understand why they have to set an
 > environment variable (something they believe is old-fashioned and

  Exactly.  On Windows, the existing code does the right thing and
uses the registry settings.  Or rather, it uses the Windows calls that
make use of the registry settings, just like if you double-click on an
HTML file directly.
  Which doesn't mean that BROWSER is the wrong thing on Unix; I'll
take that into consideration (which does *not* mean I'll agree!
Haven't decided yet, but it has clear merit).
  If someone "native" in the MacOS world can describe the right thing
there, or provide a patch, that would be wonderful!  I know about
Internet Config, I just don't know what to do with it.  ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member