[Python-Dev] Collection of typedefs for integral types

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 16:57:09 -0500

> I'm in favor of (as Trent Mick once suggested) getting exactly as insane as
> C9X:  they thought hard about this, and came up with a whole slew of new
> symbolic names for the roles integral types play.  We make typedefs of the
> same names (well, for as many as we actually *need*) but with Py_ in front
> of them.  In time, as C9X takes over the world, the platform-#ifdef infested
> section of pyport.h declaring them actually *shrinks*, as more & more
> platforms support typedef'ing to the std C9X-defined names.

Great idea.  (Is a summary of these names online somewhere?)

It's always good to reuse hard-won knowledge that someone else
gathered.  (Python is an example of this -- it encodes a lot of
hard-won knowledge that I gathered, and more recently also that many
other gathered.  This rule is also self-referential.)

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)