[Python-Dev] Collection of typedefs for integral types

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:50:50 -0400

>> Py_UINT4, Py_UINT2, etc...

[Fred Drake]
>   Yes, we'd have to have our own names (unfortunate, but only matters
> for API functions, not locals).  How bad that is depends on what you
> call "sane".  And I'm not going to predict Tim on this!  ;)

I'm in favor of (as Trent Mick once suggested) getting exactly as insane as
C9X:  they thought hard about this, and came up with a whole slew of new
symbolic names for the roles integral types play.  We make typedefs of the
same names (well, for as many as we actually *need*) but with Py_ in front
of them.  In time, as C9X takes over the world, the platform-#ifdef infested
section of pyport.h declaring them actually *shrinks*, as more & more
platforms support typedef'ing to the std C9X-defined names.