[Python-Dev] list comprehensions again...

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:00:44 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > Between now and the release, someone needs to add something there about
 > the XML support. In general, it is in the interest of the Python
 > community (and of course, my personal interest!) to emphasize Python's
 > XML sophistication. From a marketing point of view, the new XML support
 > could be pushed as sufficient reason for a major version release all by
 > itself. For instance, Even the Guido is impressed when he reads vacuous
 > XML-related press releases from the TCL guys.[1] :) :)

  I've written a bit of text for Guido about this, but it's fairly
short.  If you, Lars, Andrew or anyone else from the XML gang would
like to take a crack at it, here's what I've sent Guido:

XML Support

Python 2.0 introduces new XML tools developed by the XML Special
Interest Group (http://www.python.org/sigs/xml-sig/).

The widely-accepted Expat XML parser from James Clark is used to
provide a high-performance, non-validating parser to Python
applications.  This parser provides full Unicode support in compliance
with the XML 1.0 specification.  Interfaces are provided to work with
the most widely accepted interfaces defined by the XML community: SAX,
the Simple API for XML (http://www.megginson.com/SAX/) and DOM, the
Document Object Model Level 1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/).

 > Python 2 could be the first language with support for SAX and DOM in the
 > class libraries (though Java is catching fast) and the first to ship
 > Expat as a standard module (on some platforms, anyhow). If the feature

  An excellent point we'd do well to capitalize on -- a lot of people
interested in using XML would switch from other langs for this reason,
I suspect.

 > [1]http://www.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/1999-October/003167.html
 > (to be fair, I don't know that the TCL stuff is vacuous, I just presume
 > that any "B2B integration server" is likely to be vacuous...)

  That's a reasonable presumption, but I wouldn't make large bets on
it either.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>