[Python-Dev] oh, and any interest in my readline history stuff?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:35:30 -0400 (EDT)

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > instead when you retrieve it from the history.  I find this particularly
 > annoying and would much rather have the line-by-line recall that older
 > versions of bash (and now Python) support.

  This is something where you'd really want to be able to select which
you prefer and toggle back and forth.  I usually want a whole block,
but sometimes I want to construct a new block from pieces of previous
blocks.

 > I've never used IDLE.  What does it do to facilitate command recall and
 > editing that's much different than Python or bash?  Would it pop up the
 > above Python for loop into a text editor widget and execute it when the
 > widget is closed?

  No; it retrieves the whole multi-line block and inserts is at the
prompt, allowing you to edit any part of it before type <Return> to
execute.  It's better than the bash behavior because it doesn't
replace the actual newlines with semicolon separators (which wouldn't
be sufficient for arbitrary Python code anyway).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member