[Python-Dev] USE_STACKCHECK/PyOS_CheckStack

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:14:39 -0400

[Guido]
> They are there for the Mac code, which has its own config.h.  The Mac
> distribution is maintained separately by Jack Jansen.  There are
> occasional compromises in the main source code for the Mac port, and
> this is one.

Then I would like to

a) Add comments to the #ifdef's saying they're for the Mac.  "Mystery code"
is bad in group-maintained software.  I expect Jack will maintain that it
isn't really Mac-specific, but a wonderful feature for any platform that
cares to #define USE_STACKCHECK and PyOS_CheckStack.  Then I preemptively
sneer in his general direction <wink>.

b) Wonder out loud why this code is useful on a Mac but not other platforms.
We can get segfaulting recursion while print'ing and repr'ing on all
platforms.  So shouldn't we work to catch that on all platforms too?  Macs
shouldn't be something special wrt this.