[Python-Dev] Better SyntaxError messages

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:02:15 -0400

On 05 July 2000, Da Silva, Mike said:
> > > "expected dedent" -> "missing expected closing indentation"
>
> > Eugh.  How about "expected decrease in indentation"?  Though I think
> > dedent (or mabye outdent) is pretty obvious in context.
>
> > Also "decrease in indentation does not match any outer level"
> > is a pretty hefty error message.
>
> How about "expected unindent" ?

I was going to suggest "unindent" from the moment I saw Ping's patch, so
let me just chime in with a "yes indeed!".

Also, along with the rest of the known universe, I strongly favour the
proposed change.  Haven't tried the patch yet, but I will.

        Greg