[Python-Dev] Making the CVS tree pass the -Wall test...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 05 Jul 2000 09:55:55 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:

> [M.-A. Lemburg]
> > While fiddling around with the _GNU_SOURCE define I found
> > that there are several warnings left in the current CVS
> > version which should be removed, I guess.
> >
> > Here's the list I get from compiling the tree using -Wall
> > grouped by C file:
>
> So long as any warnings remain, would you please repost the list from time
> to time?  There's no need to group them by file.

Ok.

Note that the idea behind posting the list was to make
module authors/editors aware of warnings in their code... Fred
already made his changes -- it would probably be a good idea
if the others did the same.

> > ./pypcre.c:4524: warning: variable `start_bits' might be
> > clobbered by `longjmp' or `vfork'
> > ./pypcre.c:4525: warning: variable `start_match' might be
> > clobbered by `longjmp' or `vfork'
>
> These are often a PITA to fix:  gcc does brain-dead flow analysis, and this
> particular msg is almost always bogus as a result.  There are several open
> bugs filed against gcc on this (I know because one of them is mine <wink>).
> The others look straightforward to fix (on a first scan).

That one has been in Python since pcre was adopted -- I don't
think there's much we can do about it either... but then: sre
is coming on strong so we might as well drop pcre for say 2.1.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg