[Python-Dev] Copyright notice

Wed, 5 Jul 2000 00:12:03 +0200

> I think I recall this was a convention that the GNU folks claim is
> required from a legal standpoint.

The GPL requires such a message, specifically 2c)

    c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
    when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
    interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
    announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
    notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
    a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
    these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
    License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
    does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
    the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

So if you modify gdb, you'll have to update the copyright notice it
prints. Please note the exception: some programs (e.g. bash) don't
"normally" print a message, so you don't have to add one.

In any case, I believe this is just a GPL requirement - for Python,
you could have it behave in any way you please.

> On the other hand, why does it bother you?

I don't bother too much, and I hadn't said anything if I didn't expect
the message to change anyway.

The interactive prompt of Python 2 will be shown on page 1 of the next
print of my Python book, and I did not mean to go into Python's
history until page 14 :-)

Regards,
Martin