[Python-Dev] Make _GNU_SOURCE default for gcc ?!

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:08:50 +0200

mal wrote:
> There was a discussion about adding a #define _XOPEN_SOURCE
> to the standard header files in Python (among other things to
> fix the warning in the timemodule.c on Linux).
>
> What happened to that idea ?
>
> I think it would be worthwhile to add a
>
> #ifdef __GNUC__
> # define _GNU_SOURCE
> #endif
>
> to Python.h. This enables all features available for the
> gcc compiler including _XOPEN_SOURCE and fixes warnings
> related to missing prototypes.
>
> Thoughts ? Would this hurt anybody ?

what does "fixes warnings" mean?  does it change the compiler's
behaviour, or does it just make sure stuff are defined in the right
files?

how is this different from just a plain (and truly portable)
#define _XOPEN_SOURCE?

(the only concern I see here is that people on Linux platforms
might start churning out code that depends on certain gcc-only
features, without noticing...)

+1 on _XOPEN_SOURCE
+0 on _GNU_SOURCE

</F>